Friday, April 15, 2011

My first 'Real' Post


I figured since I've committed to calling my first Blog, Birdnuts Mixed Media, then the first picture I should showcase of my Mixed Media pieces should be what is called 'Bird Brains' (grin). Yes those are real feathers, humanely retrieved from one of my pet birds cages. (No one was harmed in making this piece:) That's a lot of tail feathers though! It was a fun piece to put together and was a 'challenge' by my dear friend and fellow artist Leslie Patterson. She handed me a blank mannequin after I had been admiring her assemblage pieces and stated the challenge....go make one of these....it took me weeks of looking at it, then losing it in cupboards so it would quit staring at me, all blank and white, a real lesson in avoidance...you see I hadn't made an assemblage before. Then in one night, all night, it yelled at me 'come retrieve me from the box in the cupboard', ( I'd made a huge effort to hide it away), and 6 hours later, 2 pots of coffee, no sleep but full of interest and lessons and exercising my brain, this is what I had come up with. 
Enjoy

6 comments:

Trishia said...

Denise, Congratulations!
I've posted a link to your blog on mine. Love this feathered mannequin and looking forward to seeing more of your art!

Denise Phillips said...

You're the best Trishia!
I went to your blog to get a badge to put on this, but couldn't find
one to highlight, so I'll just post a link as well:) :)
It's taken me a long time to jump in both feet into the blog world, now I'm committed, (in one form or the other:)
Thanks for taking the time to look, lot's more going to be posted over the next few weeks so keep checking back:)
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Beautiful blog! Can't wait to see more eye candy. xx

Denise Phillips said...

Thanks Melissa! Lots more to come!
Cheers!

Elly said...

You are so talented. I really like the idea with the birdcage and the beautiful lace skirt. I've got so much inspiration now. Thank's for showing and greets from germany. Elly (:o)

Denise Phillips said...

I'm so pleased to meet you Elly! And many thanks for signing on as a follower! I've just been to your site, and immediately posted you in my Favourite's List!! Beautiful work!!! I'll email everyone and spread the word about your blog!! Wonderful!
Cheers!
Denise